Sunday, October 14, 2012

Paris Day 1


Our trip to Paris had inauspicious beginnings.  We knew we could make a lot of mini-trips from our home-base near Stuttgart but we also wanted to explore a little more of Europe.  Hmmm, how to decide…we did what any reasonable people would do…we asked the kids if there was anything they wanted to see in Europe.  “T” was non-committal, but “J” wanted to see the Eiffel Tower.  We looked it up on a map and decided it was do-able.  I had, before this moment, never even imagined I would travel to Paris.  I had no idea what was there or what it was like.  I bought a French language phrase book but couldn’t pronounce a thing.  It was at that point that I poured myself into the study of all things French and all things Parisian.  My Asperger’s makes it difficult to deal with new things…and unfamiliar things.  I cannot handle an unknown situation.  I made it my job to become the expert on France, leaving the rest to my husband and in-laws.

 
We were warned not to drive in Paris...but we already had a car, and train tickets for 4 to all the places we wanted to visit cost more than the car rental.  We decided to go for it.  After a frustrating Nav system routing we were finally there.
 
Just a note on driving in Paris...it was not "that" bad.  I mean we didn't die or anything.  Basically here is what you need to know to drive in Paris.  1. The smaller the car the better.  2. Motorcycles and scooters and bikes are physically unable to see the lines on the road therefore they drive anywhere at anytime....think down the highway at 60 MPH between two semi trucks, or on the sidewalk etc. 3.  Traffic lanes are half the size of those in the US (think 6 feet wide).  4. Pedestrians can and will step into the road at anytime, without warning, with baby strollers.  5. Parking in the middle of the road is apparently acceptable (but not for you).  6. All roads are one way. And finally 7. There are no street signs.
Stepping out of the parking garage-this is what I saw. 


I opted to book an apartment instead of a hotel.  There were lots of reasons…but namely I wanted to be able to eat in.  Many hotels don’t allow food in the room.  I needed a place to prepare food for “T” as well as a fridge for all the goodies I found.  We enjoyed raw French milk that was the best we ever tasted.  I stocked up on butter.  We had fresh pastries every morning.  It was heavenly.  Plus although the apartment was small it was bigger than many hotel rooms and it was positioned right across from Bon Marche straddling the line between the 7th eme and the 6th eme.  It was a perfect location. 

 
I love this check-in method.  Here is the email from the apartment owner.  Call me when you arrive XXX_XXX_XX I will be around, if your phone doesn’t work go to the bar les oiseaux, same building they will find me,,have safe trip ,,see you in fews days,,alain
 

The green door to the right is the door to our courtyard.


Our tiny Parisian apartment.  All of it.  The space to the left is the door to the bathroom.

"J" looking out into the courtyard.


Our itinerary for the first afternoon was to check-in, shop for treats at La Grand Epecerie, and walk to the Seine and take a boat tour.  We also walked around Notre Dame a bit and caught the metro home.
 
On the way to the River Seine we passed this former gathering spot for artists and writers.
(think Picasso and Hemingway to name a few)
 
 
It's postcard lovely in every direction.

 
 
 




 I can't believe we are really here!

 
 Can you imagine doing this any ole time....just relaxing by the river.
It looks so wonderful...but let me be honest....
The smell of urine under the bridges sorta ruins it.



 The very tip of  Île de la Cité



We passed a much larger tour boat.


The Musee D'Orsay

 


 Our first peek at the Eiffel Tower
 
 
 Wow-so much bigger than I imagined.


 


Institut de France


 Love the faces on the bridge


 
 Notre Dame from the river.  We will walk over in a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment