Sunday, October 14, 2012

Leaving on Jet Plane

We just got home yesterday evening from our trip to Germany and France with a quick hop through Belgium and Luxembourg. I have over 1000 photos to sort through so getting a good representation of them on the blog is going to take some time. I want to start our journey by sharing some of my thoughts about the trip as a whole.

We did too much…BUT I wouldn’t have it any other way. I really pushed the family too hard to see everything possible.  I’ve never been the sort who thinks it is sensible to travel 1000s of miles to sit and relax. I prefer relaxing at home. At home you can walk around in your underwear, eat ice-cream for breakfast, and sleep in a comfortable bed. That’s relaxing. When you take, what could be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, to another country I feel compelled to cram in as much as possible? I know there are people who have the relax-and-enjoy philosophy of travel. They might recommend staying in the same tiny German town for two weeks so they can walk every street and see every corner of every house etc. But I prefer a wider view…that’s just my philosophy. No judgment for those who feel that the best way to see Paris is to sit for hours in a café. I suppose if you are in Paris for two weeks then enjoy hours in the café…we were in Paris for three days….there was no time to waste.

Arriving at the airport.....Bright eyed, bushy tailed and ready for anything

We got to the airport 3 hours early....it took approximately 15 minutes to check our bags and go through security.
Luckily the airport had lots of plugs and USB ports.  I am a little embarrassed to show this photo...
taken with my iPhone .....which shows 4 other iDevices being charged.  Our family embraces electronics.


Checking out the in-flight entertainment.  We purposely flew into a less convenient
airport to insure we had individual seat back screens.  It was totally worth it.

"J" couldn't  remember her last flight so she was really excited about the flight.


A few hours in and we are still having fun.

It's hard to sleep on a plane.  "T" brought his snuggy.

We flew Lufthansa and they did not disappoint. 
I would suggest avoiding the last row in the plane but otherwise they
are a great airline to fly if you have to go coach.  Tiramisu for desert!  and lots of free beer and wine
and after dinner drinks too.

We made it to Frankfurt and everyone is holding up really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment