Friday, September 12, 2014

Mt. Vernon

 
We did not plan to see Mt. Vernon.  But the kids were tired of museums and they jumped at the opportunity to See George Washington's home.   I loved it.  We only got to stay 2 hours because of travel time and getting back to the National Archives...I could have stayed all day.
 
Photos of the interior are not allowed...so you can buy post cards.  I love these old stereograms.  They give you more of an idea of what the house may have looked like inside.


For instance that fabulous wallpaper is gone...I wonder which view is more authentic.



The interior was fabulous...if you are into that early American thing.  Ok it was fabulous in terms of history but like the White House...it's really not my taste.  You could see a lot of similarities though.



The guide assured us that this was the original color.  And while I question that assertion to some degree when it comes to the very particular shade of green, I have no doubt they would have used the newest and brightest colors available.  Colored paint was  a pretty big deal I imagine.  And since I have done zero research on the matter...I wonder if that is why the White house has such garishly colored rooms.  Or perhaps it was just the style at the time. 


 
 Ok back to reality....
 
 

 
Above is Mt. Vernon, having fallen into ruin.
Below is what you see today (opposite side of the house though)


This is the view of the Potomac from the front porch.  You can see why George Washington loved his home and said somewhat arrogantly....“no estate in United America is more pleasantly situated than this.” And I'll agree it is pleasantly situated but so are many other homes. 












No comments:

Post a Comment