Monday, September 8, 2014

Library Of Congress, National Archives and More

There a plenty of things we don't have photos of from our trip.  Holocaust Museum (no photos) I mean it's not a place for selfies...even my daughter would agree.  And the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (nothing)  and National Archives (they sort of frown on flash photography-go figure). 

If you haven't been to Washington, DC you might think Union Station is a beautiful old train station...and while it is beautiful and old, and while you can catch a train there, it is primarily a big mall with an extensive food court.  It also happens to be home to Taco Bell and Nothing But Donuts and a nice little Crepe place.  It was a great way to turn around the attitude of some some very hot, tired and grouchy folks.

We were headed to the Capitol later...and this Donut could not come with us.  We all gave it our best effort but alas we only ate about 1/2.







Connected to the Capitol (by fully climate controlled underground tunnel) is the Library of Congress.  A friend had recommended we go...and WOW.  It is amazing.  I didn't care much about the books but the architecture was mind-blowing.  As lovely was anything I aw in Europe.
 

















Plenty of Ice Cream vendors in DC.  And the "fun" part is that you get to haggle for your ice-cream. Three treats was going to be 15 dollars (which I would have gladly paid in August) but when I paused, thinking back to the last ice-cream I had purchased on Monday, from a similar looking vendor near the Smithsonian, which had been much cheaper...she suddenly said $10.00....all this before I even had time to process that we were haggling. 


So the best part of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing tour is the movie they play at the beginning.  But take my advice-don't watch it.  Because the tour is an exact repeat of everything you have just heard, but longer, and more boring, and longer, did I mention longer.  I mean the process is fascinating.  I enjoyed seeing it.  But there isn't much to see and they stretch the tour out much longer than it needs to be.  I think we could have seen everything in 10-15 minutes.  But the tour lasted close to 40...standing in the same place, looking at the same thing.  I was grateful that a press was jammed because it was the most exciting thing I saw.  But never fear, there IS a gift shop, which seems to me somehow ironic.


Our hotel was delightful.  Great part of town, super access to the Metro, a full kitchen and close to Whole Foods.  If you don't have a Four Seasons Budget then this place rocks.  However if you do have the budget.... Donald Trump is turning this gorgeous landmark (old Post Office) into a boutique hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment