Monday, September 16, 2013

4H Day 2 Part 2

Our next class was called Surf Sleuth.  First we learned a bit about fish anatomy then we headed to the beach to find out what was in the surf.  Of course due to new pesky University rules (keep the kids alive sort of rules) we weren't able to go very far into the surf.  Still we were able to find quite a few "things" in the water.  As a matter of fact we found so many creatures in the water that my son refused to go to the beach the next day since he was now intimately familiar with all the creatures lurking out in the waves.
 
If they ask for a volunteer...can you guess which two hands shoot up first.  I really wish my dear children had the good sense to at least know what they are volunteering for before raising their hands.
 

 Here we are learning to use the big nets.  The classes were divided into K-4 and 5-10.  I love that homeschool kids get to work with different aged peers.  "J" actually ended up with the older group and I am quite happy to say she really held her own.  I was also surprised to see how much my son knew about all the topics we covered.  I certainly haven't taught him these things...

 
We stopped to watch some dolphins swimming close to the shore.


 
"T" takes a turn.

Disclaimer: I brought my good DSLR and three lenses...sadly I didn't bring a charged battery so all these photos are courtesy of the iPhone (many taken through my water proof neck pouch.  I guess we will just have to go back again so I can take better photos
.

 
Finally after dinner we went to Squid Dissection class.  Can you guess which of the following kids had to leave because they were "grossed out" and making gagging sounds and threatening to vomit...



If you guessed the boy then- ding ding ding you are correct.  Poor kid. 
He made it all the way to the lens of the eye before losing it.


 
Scissors...brilliant.  I guess giving kids razor sharp scalpels would be a bad idea. 
"J" finds the beak of the squid. 

 
Looking into the rec hall as the sun sets on an awesome learning experience...
as I take "T" back to the dorm to recover.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment