Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sawyer Glacier


I'll be honest.  I didn't fully understand what a glacier was until I saw one.  Basically a glacier is a slow moving  river of ice formed by the accumulation and compaction of snow on mountains.  And this occurs over thousands of years. Many of the waterways we traveled on were carved by glaciers.  But seeing it up close is truly awe inspiring.  Alaska has about 100,000 glaciers and only about 600-700 are named. As glaciers go, Sawyer glacier is awesome but there are definitely larger and grander specimens. 





As we rounded the corner the glacier came into view.


Those black markings in the ice looked a bit like tire tracks to me.  Perspective is skewed when you are on a ship and looking so far off into the distance.


At this point I thought I saw something in the water so I zoomed in as far as I could...."I think that's a boat" I told "D".  


You can see it more clearly in this photo.  WOW.





We couldn't get as close as the little boats.  Our cruise sold excursions where you could be  picked up off the ship and taken out as close as possible.  I can only imagine how amazing that view was. But I think this little boat was sightseeing from Juneau.



The Juneau boat headed off up the fjord .

White another larger boat loaded up with ship passengers and headed toward the glacier.  I'll admit I was a little jealous




The sun was finally out and it was time to say goodbye.  Our next stop is Juneau and Whale watching.




No comments:

Post a Comment