Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Jamaica

Jamaica is another port that people love to hate.  Yes there is a lot of crime in Jamaica but that doesn't mean you avoid Jamaica, it means you make smart choices.  The port did have a lot of security.  Sometimes it's hard to know if that makes you feel more secure or less secure.  

So, our smart choice was hiring a driver/guide for the day.  He picked us up and took us where ever we wanted to go.   In our case we wanted to see Irie Blue Hole, get real Jamaican Jerk for lunch and do a little shopping.  We felt very safe all day.  

Blue Hole is a series of waterfalls and swimming holes which are usually clear and blue.  But because Jamaica had several days of rain prior to our visit the water wasn't blue or clear.  I didn't have a great day here-there were too many ships in port and the place was crazy crowded and we were rushed through like an assembly line.  I had read so much about this place and I knew our experience was subpar compared to what I read about.  The good news was that the kids had a lot of fun.  They literally didn't know what they were missing.  

I mean this seriously differs ....

from this.....

But the kids had a blast.















After Blue Hole we went to the grocery store and souvenir shopping then we headed to Scotchies for lunch.  "D" loves jerk chicken so I wanted to make sure he go to try the real deal.  WOW!  I was so surprised.  The chicken we had was really mild.  It had very little "jerk" flavor.  I mean, it was delicious but very different than what I imagined. 


We made it back to port in plenty of time.  I won't name names but several members of my family napped almost the whole way back. 



"J" loved Jamaica.  This smile is genuine.  No bribery needed.  

And "T" was happy to get the last Auntie Anne's pretzel in port.  He's a trooper.  He is not an adventurous eater to say the least.  I was pretty impressed that he tried the jerk chicken-even if it was only a tiny bite.


The two ladies who bought pretzels before us nearly missed their ride on Liberty of the Seas.  My favorite part of cruising is the Sailaway.  Tonight I got to watch Liberty leave port ahead of us.





























That's really it for vacation photos.  With all the kids activities, school and sports who knows when we will find time to travel again.  Not to mention how hard it is to find a house sitter for all of our pets.  "J" definitely wants to cruise again.  I think I could be convinced to book again if we can get our original itinerary.  "T" says all he needs is a weekend in a "fancy" hotel.  He is so easy to please. For now I am happy to catch up with laundry and get ready for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment